£599 – Normal bearing Repair service – Offered as a drive in, drive out while you wait service
£960 – Gen2 ‘Big bearing’ Retro fit service – Offered as drive in, drive out same day service
More detailed information on prices can be found below. Prices include all Parts, Labour and VAT.
The M32 6 Speed Getrag gearbox is fitted to a wide range of vehicles, including Vauxhall, Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lotus.
There is a very common problem with the M32 gearbox, the symptoms can vary and some complain of whining but no movement in the gearstick, whilst some complain of movement but no whining!
Generally this is what you should be looking out for:
- When disengaging the clutch in 1st gear when pulling away, whilst holding the gear stick, it will move back into your hand, sometimes by 10-20mm! (the greater the movement, the worse the problem)
- When applying the accelerator in 5th or 6th gear, the gearstick ‘twitches’ in comparison to 3rd and 4th (although in rare cases there can also be twitching in these gears due to different bearing issue)
- Whining sound coming from behind glove box area
- Specifically on Corsa, Punto and Mito models; when turning right at 30mph+ you get what is best described as like a disc rubbing noise
- Movement / whine more noticeable in 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th gears
The gearbox problem which results in all of the above symptoms is a result of one bearing – specifically the bearing on top of 6th gear. The bearing rollers wear, which causes the movement in the gearstick, which is causing the internal gear shafts to ‘float’, and the whining is caused by pits in the bearings, which can be seen in the image below. (Click to enlarge)
This Is A Headline Widget
You can customize it and put it where ever you want
It is also quite common to get a constant whine in all gears from 20-30mph onwards, regardless of whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged, and which intensifies with speed. Often misdiagnosed as differential bearings, this is caused by pitted pinion bearings which can be seen on inner and outer races below.
The 2010-2012 gearboxes have seen more issues with pitted pinion bearings than earlier versions – this is due to GM changing the bearings to FAG and NGBC, as opposed to the earlier Timken bearings.
There are a lot of widgets bundled with Page Builder. You can use them to bring your pages to life.